How to Clean Glass Shower Doors with Hard Water Stains
Do you have glass shower doors that are covered in hard water stains? Are you having a difficult time getting rid of the soap scum and mineral deposits? If so, then you have come to the right place. In this blog post, we will teach you how to clean glass shower doors with hard water stains. We will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to assess the damage, gather supplies, and clean your glass shower doors. Our method uses fairly natural and safe products which make it easy to use around your home as well. Let’s get started!
Assessing the Build-up Level on the Glass Shower Door
The first thing you need to do is assess the damage. Take a look at your glass shower doors and see how bad the hard water stains are. If they are just on the surface, then you might be able to get away with using soap and some elbow grease. However, if the stains are deep-set, then you might need to use a stronger cleaning solution. Check these pictures to determine if you are having a minor problem, major problem, or disaster which will allow us to choose the right supplies and right cleaning method for your shower glass.
Once you have assessed the damage, it’s time to gather your supplies. For this project, you will need:
- Soap (we recommend Dawn),
- Cleaning Vinegar (full strength)
- 2-5 microfiber cloths
- Bucket (if you don’t have a shower wand)
- Squeegee for streak free finish
- Vim (major and disaster)
- Razor blade (if disaster)
- Do not dilute the cleaning vinegar for soap scum and hard water stains. You
need full strength on this job.
Minor Problem Cleaning Method
For a minor shower glass cleaning, all you need is soap and water, two rags, and one squeegee. First, wet your rag with soapy water and wipe down the glass, scrubbing as necessary. Then, rinse the window with clean water to remove any soap residue . Use the squeegee to remove any remaining water and the last cloth to remove any streaks. With a little practice, you’ll be able to clean your shower glass with minor hard water buildup quickly and easily – and you’ll be rewarded with sparkling views of the toilet?
Major Problem Cleaning Method
You’ve hit a snag, no matter what step you tried you couldn’t get off the hard water build up. Here’s a step-by-step guide to cleaning your shower as quickly and easily as possible.
1. Start by wetting down the entire shower with soap and water with 1 cloth to remove and large loose surface mineral build – up.
2. Apply Vim or another similar product to another cloth and scrub all shower surfaces. Be careful not to waste too much product by dumping it directly on the glass -which also make it take longer to rinse off. Scrub all the surfaces and rinse well.
4. While the surfaces are still wet, spray them down with the full strength cleaning vinegar then reapply after a few minutes. Let the vinegar sit for 10 – 15 minutes to loosen mineral before scrubbing with a new wet cloth.
5. Then squeegee and wipe down to streak free with 1 more dry cloth.
Disaster Cleaning Method
The best way to clean shower doors is with vinegar. Same as the major method, you will want to treat the shower door twice with vinegar and let it sit. You might want to use a razor if it is that bad with soap scum and minerals. Be careful not to scratch the glass. Use it at a 45 degree angle with the surface. No other abrasive surfaces as they may scratch or scuff the glass surface. Treat the shower door runners as well.
Now that you know how to clean glass shower doors with hard water and mineral stains, and what causes them in the first place, you can hopefully avoid any future buildup. Be sure to follow the tips for cleaning glass shower doors with hard water stains so that your doors retain their original shine. And as a reminder, never use toilet bowl cleaner on your glass shower doors! If you have any additional questions or tips, please share them in the comments below. Thanks for reading!